Sunday, July 19, 2020

The Blogs, The GLOG, and The Eternal Slog.

    The Blogs 

    The OSR Community as a whole has been kicking out some awesome content recently, between the bazillion blogs, the countless successful Kickstarter campaigns, and the proliferation of OSR content as a whole has almost reached the mainstream. It's awesome, it really is, and its only one curious development of the RPG community recently.
    
     As of late, 5e has become somewhat of a dull topic, at least that's how it appears to me. The old grognards are heading to PF2e, The SuperMassive Umbrella that is the OSR tag in general, or other greener systems. Meanwhile, 5e is seeing this huge influx of new players due to the popularization of podcasts and actual play television such as Critical Role and similar. It's a great time to get into the hobby. 

(I won't touch upon the topics of recent allegations against certain entities, I refrain from talking politics in everyday life and I continue to do so now.)
   
    Simply put, I'm throwing my hat into the ring. I want in on this whole "blogging" thing. I'm lazy, busy all the time and horrible at staying on track with things. But I'm giving it my best shot. I've been running OSR content for about 8 years, starting with Stars Without Number 1e all the way back in 2012, but I mostly run GLOG hacks recently. 

    Speaking of which...

The GLOG 

    I've seen the GLOG being posted about a lot recently. It's been my favorite system for a while now, I picked up Skerple's hack about a year or two ago along with a copy of Tomb of the Serpent Kings and I haven't looked back since. It's not the most well-polished engine, I've even seen it described as a jury-rigged piece of shit (lovingly of course), but the hacks that it has spawned are truly built for what the creator wanted. There is no wasted design space. Don't like that one annoying rule that your original copy has? Toss it tf out. Want mechanics that support a setting of Weird War 2 Pulp exploration (Something that I've been working on myself)? Toss em in. 

    If you couldn't tell, the GLOG is more of a philosophy of design rather than a full and ready to play RPG system. Make what you want, fix or toss out what doesn't work. Continue for eternity. Your GLOG is not my GLOG nor anyone else's. 
  • The first rule is to toss out what you don't like. 
  • The second rule is to shamelessly steal (and attribute, since writers are cool people and deserve recognition).
  • The third and final rule is to just keep writing until you get where you want to be.
     I'd go into more details on my own GLOG hacks but I've got plenty of time to do that later and if I insisted on putting them here then this post would never end.

The Eternal Slog

    Anyone who doesn't care about me personally (I doubt many do) or perhaps my plans with this place, can skip this part and leave, this is the end of useful content to steal (not that there was much to steal above either). Such behavior is the way of the gretchlings and their blog browsing habits.
 
   Either way, This blog is my way of saying "I am a filthy gretchling, here's the shit I wrote, steal it. Improve it. Report back if you wish, though I know many may not." I'm probably going to be posting a lot of GLOG material in case you hadn't realized this earlier, though perhaps it will be interspersed with some Stars Without Number hacks if the inclination hits me.

    I honestly have no clue how often I'll write here, and even less of a clue how much will be seen. I'm hoping for a good article once a week though. Or maybe once every couple weeks. Shit, I may forget about this blog tomorrow morning, it's pretty late and my brain is holding itself together with crippling ADD and caffeinated tea right now, which should also explain any odd or shoddy writing decisions on my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment